PACFA has launched new membership pathways that will make it possible
for more diverse practitioners to join PACFA. Applications are now
open for prospective members interested in joining PACFA under the new
The initiative to create the new membership pathways came out of the
work of PACFA’s Psychotherapy Working Party which was established to
support psychotherapy as a distinct profession. Their work includes
developing strategies to enable more psychotherapists to join PACFA and
to support the retention and development of psychotherapy training
In addition to supporting more psychotherapists to join PACFA, the
new membership pathways will also support Aboriginal & Torres Strait
Islander Healing Practitioners to join PACFA. This is part of the
vision of PACFA’s new College of Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Healing Practices (CATSIHP).
PACFA’s new Membership Pathways are detailed in PACFA’s Membership and Registration Requirements 2020 and supported by the updated PACFA Training Standards 2020
(1) Accredited Training Pathway
- This pathway aligns with the PACFA Training Standards 2020 in order to meet the current expectations of government that training is accredited by TEQSA or ASQA at AQF level 7 to 9
- This pathway is available to counsellors, psychotherapists and
Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Healing Practitioners with
training that is accredited by government and that meets the other
requirements of the PACFA Training Standards 2020
(2) Equivalent Training Pathway
- This pathway reinstates access to PACFA membership and registration for those whose training is equivalent to the PACFA Training Standards 2020
- This applies to psychotherapists, counsellors and Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Healing Practitioners.
(3) Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
- This pathway is a true Recognition of Prior Learning process that was not previously available.
- This enables people to join PACFA who have other training and
substantial practice experience that is assessed as being appropriate
for professional practice.
- Evidence is required to support RPL applications, as outlined in the Guidelines for Recognition of Prior Learning 2020
Applications for PACFA membership, including via the new pathways, can be made online at the PACFA Portal.